The Arjuna Award is an inspiration to do better, says Sunil Chhetri

The 2011 National Sports Day was a proud day for Indian football as Sunil Chhetri received the Arjuna Award.

The 2011 edition turned out to be a memorable one for Indian football as current India star striker Sunil Chhetri became the 23rd footballer to win the Arjuna Award .

Star striker Sunil Chhetri says winning the prestigious Arjuna Award will spur him to do better in future.

"It's an inspiration to do better as I am now in the same league with so many legends – not only from football but from various disciplines of sports," he said after receiving the award from President Pratibha Devisingh Patil at the Rashtrapati Bhawan here on Monday.

Chhetri also said that this is the beginning of a new journey for him.

"The award comes with more responsibility and I cannot let others down. I need to punch myself and go that extra mile."

The Delhi-based Indian striker dedicated the award, which according to him, was beyond imagination at the start of his career with Mohun Bagan, to his folks.

"It has to be dedicated to my family. Other than their support all this wouldn't have been possible. Over the years, all my coaches and my teammates have contributed a lot to shape my career. I can never forget their contribution and help. But this award is solely dedicated to my family," he said.

Chhetri admitted that he was nervous when his name was announced.

"I can't explain that. From the time, I landed at the Rashtrapati Bhawan, I was joking with the other awardees to ease off the tension. But when my name was announced, I just froze. The entire atmosphere got to me.

"Receiving an Award could be so tough – I understood the hard way. And as I come from an Army background, receiving it from the Supreme Commander of the Indian Armed Forces makes it all the more special," he said.

Chhetri said he had never dreamt of winning an award at the start of his career.

"It's hard for a player to plan for the future, especially in a game like football. Obviously, at that stage I never even thought of an Award at any stage, leave aside the Arjuna Award. I just wanted to keep playing. But it feels good when you are rewarded – you feel special; and this indeed is a special Moment for me," he said.

Interview With Sunil Chhetri After Receiving Arjuna Award

That Sunil Chhetri is an ‘Arjuna’ on the field, we all knew right from Day One. The recognition, however, came on Monday, August 29, 2011. Immediately after receiving the Award from the President – Smt. Pratibha Devisingh Patil.

Whom do you dedicate his award to?

Sunil : It has to be dedicated to my family. Other than their support all this wouldn’t have been possible. Over the years, all my coaches and my teammates have contributed a lot to shape my career. I can never forget their contribution and help. But this Award is solely dedicated to my family.

What was the feeling like when your name was announced?

Sunil:  I can’t explain that. From the time I landed at the Rashtrapati Bhawan, I was joking with the other Awardees to ease off the tension. But when my name was announced, I just froze. The entire atmosphere got to me. Receiving an Award could be so tough – I understood the hard way. And as I come from an Army background, receiving it from the Supreme Commander of the Indian Armed Forces makes it all the more Special.

When you first travelled to Kolkata to play for Mohun Bagan did you ever believe you will go this far?

Sunil :  It’s hard for a player to plan for the future, especially in a game like football. Obviously, at that stage I never even thought of an Award at any stage, leave aside the Arjuna Award. I just wanted to keep playing. But it feels good when you are rewarded – you feel Special; and this indeed is a Special Moment for me.

What next for Sunil Chhetri?
 
Sunil :  This is the beginning of a new journey for me. The Award comes with more responsibility and I cannot let others down. I need to punch myself and go that extra mile. It’s an inspiration to do better as I am now in the same League with so many legends – not only from football but from various disciplines of sports.
Read latest post filed under sports

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! What's on your mind?

[blogger][facebook]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.