Baichung Bhutia: Don't understand how giving Bharat Ratna to a sportsperson can make a mockery of it

Press Council chief Markandey Katju has said that cricketers and film stars should not be given Bharat Ratna as they have no social relevance. This, at a time when there is a demand to confer the award on Sachin Tendulkar and Dhyan Chand. What is your take on this?

I don't know about movies, but sports is a medium that has a direct connect with the youth. Sports makes no distinction between the rich and the poor. At the end of the day, only talent and hard work pay off. I really don't understand how giving Bharat Ratna to a sportsperson can make a mockery of it.

Football ran into a controversy recently, with Leander Paes reportedly demanding 1.6 crore from All India Football Federation (AIFF) for his involvement. Previously, Salman Khan, was supposedly chosen to be the face AIFF. Don't you think regular footballers should be chosen as the face of AIFF?

I think known faces are chosen to generate interest in the game among common people. Leander Paes has just been approached. Nothing has been finalized as yet.

Soccer is popular across the world. But why doesn't it generate the same craze as cricket in India?

It is true that soccer doesn't yet enjoy the same popularity in India as it does elsewhere. I feel winning international tournaments is necessary to generate interest among people. Besides, India has to produce more good players. The team has been playing a lot of tournaments in the past two-three years. I am optimistic about our football.

Earlier this month, Mahendra Singh Dhoni was spotted playing a football match with a local Ranchi team. He used to play the game in childhood. Do you think that India has lost a good football player?

With dedication and hard work, Dhoni could have become a great footballer. But I am glad that he is playing cricket and is the most successful One Day captain and a great batsman.

Christmas is round the corner. How different will be the celebration this year what with the arrival of your third baby - Samara Dechen Bhutia?

After many years, I will be in Sikkim to celebrate the festival with my family. That makes me feel very happy. Earlier, when I used to live in Kolkata, Christmas celebrations meant having dinner with my Christian friends. Since I am back in Sikkim now, I am looking forward to spending time with my three kids. I want to decorate an Xmas tree for my twins and Samara.

Do you plan to be Santa for the kids?

We don't have any elaborate plans for Christmas. Instead, something is planned for December 27 when we will celebrate our seventh marriage anniversary with my family and friends at the club (United Sikkim Football Club).

What is the status of your football sports academy in Sikkim?

We are working on it. The academy will come under the aegis of United Sikkim Football Club. Things should fall into place in another six months. We have already got land from the West Bengal government for another such sports academy that will have world-class coaches. I was always targeting northeast and north Bengal. Siliguri will be the next football hub after Kolkata.

TOI
Read latest post filed under sports

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! What's on your mind?

[blogger][facebook]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.