GJM to take decision on strike in August 30 meeting

GJM spokesperson and Kalimpong MLA Harka Bahadur Chhetri
The central committee of the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha today convened an emergency meeting in Darjeeling of its frontal organisations to take their opinions on lifting the month-long strike called in demand of statehood.

However, even after three long hours of deliberation, the GJM failed to come out with an answer and has now decided to take the final call in the August 30 all-parties meeting of the Gorkhaland Joint Action Committee.

Altogether, 147 individuals from both the frontal organisations and in individual capacity attended today’s meeting held at Malidhura, 6 km from Darjeeling town.

“We called the emergency meeting today to discuss with our frontal organisations about the ongoing agitation and to take their views,” GJM spokesperson and Kalimpong MLA Harka Bahadur Chhetri informed media persons at the party’s Singamari office.

“As we discussed some other issues also and because of time shortage, we have decided to follow it up in the meeting of the GJAC on August 30,” he added.

The participants were asked to give their views in writing and were provided 20 minutes to do so. The meeting touched upon issues pertaining to the spree of arrests of party leaders and the state government’s attitude, on whether any changes were required to the present movement and what was to be done on reopening of schools and government offices, among others. However, the main discussion involved the ongoing shutdown and what was to be done about it.

 “We have taken the written views of the members present at the meeting and will take up the most common views and follow this up in the August 30 meeting,” said Chhetri.

The GJM spokesperson said all decisions would be taken in consultation with the GJAC as the movement now belongs to the people.

“The views of the constituent parties in the GJAC may not be the same. But since the present agitation is a consensual effort, we will take all into confidence while taking any decision,” said Chhetri.

Interestingly, GJM chief Bimal Gurung had taken a unilateral decision for an indefinite strike even though the GJAC had called a series of agitations from August 19 to 26 that had to be called off.

However, Gurung on Tuesday clarified his decision had been fuelled by anger and sadness at the state and central governments’ apathetic attitude towards the ongoing movement.

Meanwhile, when asked whether chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s upcoming visit to the Hills and the September 4 GTA meeting were discussed at the meeting, Chhetri replied in the negative.

“We did not discuss those issues. But yes, our stand as far as the GTA meeting remains is that all arrested people should be released first,” he said. He also refused to talk about GJM general secretary Roshan Giri's trip to Delhi on Tuesday.(EOI)

GJM to take decision on strike in August 30 meeting - central committee of the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha today convened an emergency meeting in Darjeeling of its frontal organisation

Read latest post filed under political news

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! What's on your mind?

[blogger][facebook]

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.