Siliguri, Sept. 29: Binny Sharma,
the hill Trinamul leader from Naxalbari accused of raping a minor, today
said he would write to party chairperson Mamata Banerjee, Mukul Roy and
Gautam Deb naming party leaders from the plains who, he alleged, had
framed him in the case.
Sharma told a news conference this
afternoon: “Let me reiterate that some leaders from the plains have
connived to falsely implicate me in this case. There are four-five such
leaders who have done this out of jealousy and desperation. I will send
separate letters to Mamata Banerjee, Mukul Roy (the party general
secretary)and Gautam Deb (Trinamul district chief) soon, mentioning
their names and how they have tried to malign my public image.”
He said his wife
Vishika would also write “to the chief minister, seeking justice as a
common citizen of the state as her husband has been baselessly charged
with a serious crime”.
Sharma, who is the
general secretary of Trinamul hill committee, said he was consulting
lawyers and may file a writ petition in Calcutta High Court.
“I want the police
to investigate thoroughly and being a law-abiding citizen, I will
cooperate with the investigators with all possible information. The
question of proving my innocence is definitely important but I also want
all these people, who have conspired against me, to be exposed through
the investigation. If required, I might even file a writ petition urging
for a complete investigation,” the Trinamul leader said.
Sharma also questioned the integrity of the leaders, whom he declined to name.
“These people are
so adamant that they are acting against the party’s interests. By
framing me in this false case, they are helping parties in the
Opposition with issues ahead of the civic and rural elections. Their
act, I feel, is a move against the interests of the party,” he said.
“I would prefer not to name these people immediately but would like to say that they are from the plains.”
Last Saturday, the Naxalbari police station received a complaint forwarded by the Darjeeling chief judicial magistrate’s court.
In the complaint, a
16-year-old girl had alleged that she had been in a relationship with
Sharma for the past two years and that he had promised marriage.
Police have not
said anything on the progress of the case. District Trinamul leaders,
both in the plains and the hills, are tightlipped.
Source: The Telegraph

Post a Comment
We love to hear from you! What's on your mind?